Quick and simple family meals are crucial for mid-week dinners.
I’m not above frozen pizza but having “prepared” a meal makes me feel like I’m keeping up with the super moms who shop organic, make Cricut Valentines and wash their hair on a regular basis. I’m sorry, I shower daily but I just can’t commit to blow drying my hair, and that’s how the mom-bun was nobly born. Romantic, I know. So as moms we find cheats and quick-fix recipes!
- 2 Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breast (BSCB)
- spice blend such as "Rotisserieseasoning"
- 1TBSP cooking oil
- 1 Pie dough crust, rolled out
- 1cup Corn (frozen, canned, or fresh)
- 1cup Bell Peppers, chopped (any color or medley)
- 1cup Red Potato, cubed & cooked (microwaveable potatoes are easy)
- Black Pepper tt
- 1TBSP butter
- 1TBSP flour (wondra flour works best)
- 1cup chicken stock, room temperature (or drippings for stronger flavor)
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Season BSCB with preferred chicken spice mix. Add oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Place BSCBs down without moving them and time for one minute, then flip and repeat on the opposite side. Turn heat down to low-medium and cover pan with lid for 10 minutes. Do not lift lid, I repeat DO NOT lift lid. Turn burner off, keep chicken in pan still COVERED for another 10 minutes to rest.
- Place rolled out pie crust in ceramic pie dish and flute edges (for visual appeal). Place in microwave and cook on high 6-8 minutes (depending on power of microwave) until crust is golden brown.
- While Chicken is covered and resting & pie crust is cooking:: Sauté corn and chopped peppers in skillet, seasoned with pepper. (Green beans, peas, etc. can be added if desired.)
- Dice rested chicken, add to veggie mixture.
- For gravy; in saucepan melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour to make a roux, the combination will make a bit of a paste texture. continue to whisk and cook the mixture until very light golden brown. While whisking slowly pour a stream of stock/drippings into roux and continue to whisk until the mixture blooms into a beautiful light brown gravy. Turn burner down to the lowest heat.
- Drain excess liquid from veggie chicken mixture, fill cooked pie crust. Pour gravy overtop. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired and enjoy.
I hope this recipe feeds you well, thanks for reading.