Divine Dark Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
Recipe By Katie Bonzer
Yield 1 Loaf
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup 70% Cacao chopped nearly to powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
8 tbs Unsalted Butter soft
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar packed
2 ripe Bananas
3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao chips
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Butter a 9x5inch Loaf Pan
- Chop the 70% Cacao (I use Lindt) finely enough that it can be sifted. (I did by hand to practice my knife skills. If you have a food processor it’s much faster, I just didn’t feel like cleaning it afterward.)
- Combine Flour, Cacao, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt through a sifter.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle or with a hand mixer beat, on medium, the Butter until soft, add the Sugars until blended and then add each Egg individually just until mixed in.
- Mash the Bananas (ripe with brown spots but still a bit firm) into a baby food like state and mix into the sugars mixing bowl until just blended.
- On low add half of the dry ingredients until thou roughly mixed and repeat with the remaining.
- Add the Cream and mix on low until incorporated.
- Stir in the Cacao chips.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and cook on a baking sheet on middle rack for 25 mins.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for another 35-40 mins with a total baking time of 60-65 mins.
- Bread will be dark crusted because of the chocolate in the flour mix but be aware that the top is not burning.
- Test center with knife and then gently, with mitts on flip the loaf over onto the counter right side up to let it cool faster and halt any continued cooking.
- Once completely cooled wrap it in plastic and store in a clean loaf plan for up to 4 days.
- These would make great muffins as well and I would guess cook time would be around 17 minutes at 375. That is just a guess though, so be attentive.