Layer bars are the ultimate bake sale, office party, family reunion, grab-n-go treat. Adored by all for their chewy richness and childhood nostalgia these baked goods have grown in popularity with the help of the fictitious cultural icon, Betty Crocker, of the Washburn Cosby Company. In fact, bars have been such a hit that the fitness and health food market have made a billion dollar industry on protein and meal replacement bars; even the US Navy Seals added numerous bars to their Guide to Fitness and Nutrition “lightweight menus”. These bars have replaced a meal or two however I wouldn’t advertise them as part of a nutritious breakfast, but most definitely a recipe that won’t disappointed you.
- 58 g | 2oz | 1/4 cup – Salted Butter
- 107 g | 3.5 oz | 1 cup – Graham Cracker Crumb (Keebler)
- 15 g | .5oz | 1 Tbs – Sugar
- 172 g | 6oz | 1 cup – Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (Ghirardelli)
—Peanut Butter Blondie—
- 230 g | 8oz | 1 cup – Butter, unsalted
- 245 g | 8.5oz | 1 cup – Creamy Peanut Butter (Jiff)
- 369 g | 12oz | 1&3/4cup – Sugar
- 16 g | .5oz | 1 Tbs – Vanilla Extract
- 2 -s Lg Eggs
- 357 g | 12.5oz | 2 cups – Self Rising Flour (Aunt Jemima or King Arthur)
—Peanut Butter Ganache—
- 75 g | 2.5oz | 1/4 cup – Heavy Cream
- 112 g | 4oz | 1 cup – Peanut Butter Chips (Reese’s)
- 16 g | .5oz | 1 Tbs – Creamy Peanut Butter (Jiff)
- 113 g | 4 oz | 1/2 cup – Toffee bits (Skor -without chocolate)
- Preheat Oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. (162C)
- Butter and line 4 mini loaf pans with Parchment Paper.
- Melt salted butter, stir in sugar until mostly dissolved, stir in graham until well combined.
- Equally divide graham mix between 4 pans.(aprox 3/8 cup in each.) Evenly press mixture firmly to make a thin, solid crust.
- Bake Graham crust 10 minutes.
- Remove pans from Oven and evenly sprinkle 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips in each.
- In mixer with paddle attachment or medium bowl with hand blender, beat the butter and peanut butter together. Add the sugar until combined. Add the vanilla and then the eggs one at a time until just combined. Lastly mix in the flour on low in two stages just until combined.
- Evenly distribute batter into loaves- 208g | 7&1/4oz | 2/3 cup in each pan. (You will have enough batter for about 8 mini loaves. This batter refrigerated and freezes well.)
- Cook 4 loaves with pb batter for 30-35mins or until toothpick comes out of center clean but moist.
- Be aware under baking these will make your bars doughy instead of chewy.
- Cool bars completely.
- Heat heavy cream until frothy and stir in pb chips and creamy pb. Stir until just warm and thick. Evenly pour over the 4 loaves and spread to cover entire bar.
- While pb ganache is wet sprinkle 1/8 cup of toffee bits evenly over each of the bars.
- Let bars cool for an hour before serving. (Loosen bars with butter knife and gently pry out, or pull parchment paper straight out of tins.
- Store in a low humidity airtight container for up to four days.
Deuster, Patricia A., Ph.D., M.P.H.; Anita Singh, Ph.D., Pierre A, Peltier, ENS, MC, USNR (2007). The U.S. Navy SEAL Guide to Fitness and Nutrition. Skyhorse Publishing. p. 416. ISBN 1-60239-030-4. Retrieved 17 February 2014.