This open-faced chicken sandwich came about simply by utilizing the ingredients we had on hand, which makes it perfectly rustic because though your refrigerator may be barren, you likely still have these few ingredients on hand. There wasn’t much planning aside from the desire to attempt delicious baked radishes in hopes of finally liking radishes. We did not cave, cooked radish is a repulsive root vegetable even if they have been cleaned, prepared with garlic and oil and cooked properly, therefore they may appear in pictures but there will be no recipe provided.
Rustic Chicken Sandwich
Note: Radish recipe not included.
- 1 Lg Chicken Breast, boneless, skinless
- Sundried Tomato Marinade (pre-made or sun dried tomato flakes and olive oil with some red pepper flakes and kosher salt.)
- 2 Lg Carrots, peeled
- 1tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Slices Sourdough
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Lg Eggs
- S&P to taste
- 1 Tbsp Dill, fresh, chopped
- Marinade Chicken Breast in sun-dried tomato oil overnight: if you can’t find a premixed marinade at your grocery than use sundered tomato flakes and olive oil with some red pepper flakes and kosher salt.
- Bring Chicken out to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Finely Chop 1 Tbsp of Dill, set aside as garnish.
- While Chicken resting, Wash, Peel and chop carrots into 1x1inch pieces. Steam carrots on stovetop, microwave or as we did in or Beaba Babycook (until toothpick can be inserted all of the way through).
- Pound Chicken Breast thin about 1/2 inch. Heat Cast iron skillet, grill or electric grill such as we did on our Cuisinart Griddle. Surface needs to be hot enough to sear chicken and leaved delicious grill marks.
- Toast the sourdough bread in toaster or on grill.
- Sear both sides of the pounded chicken breast evenly about 5-6 minutes each until cooked through, be aware not to overcook, no one wants dry chicken. Remove and Cover with tinfoil to allow the juices to rest 5 minutes.
- While Chicken is cooking blend the steamed carrots until smooth pureed texture with 1 tsp Kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder. Cover with tin foil a few minutes until serving time.
- While Chicken is resting fry up two sunny side up or over medium eggs in buttered pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Plating: Lay down bed of toasted sourdough, spread carrot garlic puree, top with hot sundried tomato chicken breast, finish with Sunny side up Egg and Garnish with fresh Dill. Et Viola!
Recipe Photo Gallery
Pictured: O’shea Custom Woodwork cutting board in carrot & radish, and dill photos. Beaba Baby Cook Pictured, here for more baby food recipes and purees.