“Before there were vineyards in every valley north of San Francisco, before Napa and Sonoma were household names, before there was a California wine world at all, there was Buena Vista. Founded in 1857, Buena Vista is California’s first premium winery, and its history is as colorful as it is proud. Today, the legend is being re-born under the vision of Jean-Charles Boisset. Just outside the town of Sonoma, the original winery is now a California Historic Landmark, and home to our Winery, Tasting Room, and Visitor’s Center.”-“BUENA VISTA TODAY | Buena Vista Winery.” Buena Vista Winery. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2014.
The flawless partnership of winemaker Jeff Stewart and Buena Vista Winery is what sparked our infatuation with Pinot Noirs. Buena Vista Carneros Estate wines are customarily the bottles that we bring as a guest offering to dinner parties to present our gratitude to the host or hostess. These wines, however delicious, unfortunately are not readily available in stores so we became wineclub members in 2010 to ensure our ration of a pour of heaven. As wineclub members we receive five shipments of 3-4 bottles per year, each at 20% off retail price. From there we can reorder whichever wines we so chose at 30% off including the Private Reserve wines, (Reserve- Term given to wine to indicate that it is of higher quality than usual sometimes with longer aging and in smaller quantities). For more information on the Buena Vista Carneros wine club click here.
2009, Buena Vista Carneros, Ramal Vinayard Swan Selection of Sonoma California, Pinot Noir
- Buena Vista Carneros Description: This Swan Selection Pinot Noir offers aromas of bing cherries and pomegranate, along with spice and floral characters.
- Jacob’s Review: Well balanced flavor profile of wonderful deep cherry with soft tannic structure and subtle fruity nose. Pairs well with Seared Ribeye and Mushroom duxelles, recipe here.
- Kate’s Review: Full bodied Pinot Noir, smooth black berry, nutmeg and cherry notes with deep garnet pigment, coats the mouth with soft tannins, light acidity and a lingering carryover taste. Excellent pairing with a cheese of strong, creamy and slight piquancy like a Sheep’s milk, Manchego.
The 2008 is available online here, we enjoyed that vintage as well however we don’t see the 2009 to on Buena Vistas website.
2012, Buena Vista The Counts Selection, Sonoma Coast of California, Pinot Noir Rosé (200 Cases Produced)
- Buena Vista Description: A well-balanced medium-bodied wine with aromas of strawberry shortcake and a hint of minerality.
- Jacob’s Review: Beautiful light summer acidity with an apple, pear, strawberry initial taste and Pinot Noir chewy finish. Great for a warm spring day.
- Kate’s Review: Pleasingly bright nose of pear and wild berries, pale and transparent salmon in colour, light acidity with immediate honeysuckle that develops into mature ripe berries leaving a slight tingle on your tongue. This Rosé pairs well with soft cheeses such as fresh goat cheese.